Our Methodology: How We Work
In our current project, the Community Participation Initiative, we have developed a unique approach and methodology to our work.
When we began the Initiative, we assumed community agencies would welcome people with disabilities. Our assumption has proven to be correct. When they open the door, we provide them with ongoing coaching and training – benefiting not only people with disabilities, but the general public as well.
We’ve developed the following methods for the Community Participation Initiative:
- We don’t create parallel or separate programs in which people with disabilities are isolated from others who take part in the agency’s programs.
- We assist the child or adult with a disability to figure out what activities he or she prefers.
- We don’t impose our preferences on people with disabilities; we work to find organizations that have those activities in place.
- We assume agencies will provide a welcoming environment, and our job is to help them provide it.
- We enlist the buy-in and endorsement of program directors and staff.
- We provide technical assistance to help program staff make any necessary accommodations to their programs.
- We provide on-site coaching to agency staff, either one-on-one or in group setting.
- We assist them in modifying programs and making necessary accommodations.
- We are available when problems arise, providing concrete solutions.
If you would like more information about our methodology and how the Arcadia Institute works, please feel free to contact us.